Appendix 2-A: Online Chemical Inventory Instructions
For first time users only, if you maintain your inventory in some other format, please contact EHS so we may assist you in importing your inventory data in to our system.
For returning users, log onto the EHS chemical inventory site with your Onyen and password. Select an option in the left hand menu to get started.
- Enter the Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) number or chemical name into the “Chemical Search” box. Your chemical will show up in the drop down box. EHS has a database of over 60,000 chemicals, however if you do not find a match try an alternate name or a different spelling. Some chemicals in the database might not be listed under the name that you are more familiar with. Use the “User-Defined Name” to enter that information.
- Enter the “Quantity on Hand” and the unit of measure. You can also enter the concentration/molarity. Enter the “Maximum Quantity on Hand” if you would like to provide that information as well.
- Enter the chemical state (solid, liquid, or gas).
- Select the check box to indicate if you would like to “Share this Chemical?” with others. This option is to indicate that you would like to make some, or all, of this chemical available to someone else if they may need it. This reduces the cost of disposing hazardous materials and saves other researchers the expense of purchasing chemicals. This information is kept on a secure server.
- Select the “Building” and “Room” where the chemical is located.
- Enter the location within the room (i.e. cabinet, refrigerator, shelf, etc.). You can also optionally enter where in the location (e.g. top shelf, left side, or which refrigerator, freezer, etc.) the chemical is located.
- Add any “Notes” that you or EHS may find helpful when reviewing your inventory.
- Select compatibility groups (Chapter 4) associated with your chemical.
- Click the “Add Inventory Item” Button, and repeat for each chemical that you would like to add.
- Select the “Sort by” type and location you would like to view and click the [Search] button.
- Enter the new quantity and click the [Update] button to the right.
- If you no longer have the item, click the [Remove] button next to that inventory item.
- Click the chemical name if you would like to update any other information for that chemical.
Search Your Inventory
- Select the “Search by” type.
- Enter the information for the chemical you would like to find in your inventory. You can enter a partial term to find many chemicals. For example, if you type “a”, your search will return all the chemicals in your inventory that begin with the letter “a”.
- Click the [Search] button.
- Click the chemical name link for the one you would like to view/update.
Add New Chemical
If you would like to add a new chemical to the EHS database, please fill out the form and submit to EHS.
Inventory by Location
Create an inventory report where the results are listed by the location of the chemical. You can select all locations or just a specific one. Reports can be sorted by chemical name, CAS no., or date of inventory update.
Inventory by Building
Create an inventory report where the results are listed by the building(s) on your Laboratory Safety Plan. You can only select one building at a time, and then you can select all storage locations or just a specific one. Reports can be sorted by chemical name, CAS no., or date of inventory update.
Inventory with Compatibility Groups
Create a report of chemicals in your inventory and their associated compatibility group. Use this report to verify that incompatible chemicals are not being stored together and that storage areas are clearly labeled.