Roles and Responsibility
This section has been reviewed and updated as needed: April 2014
Authorized Laser User
The Authorized Laser User (ALU) is an individual directly responsible for the acquisition, use and maintenance of a particular laser/laser system. Authorized Laser Users are responsible for:
- Notifying the Laser Safety Officer prior to the acquisition or fabrication of a new laser so that a preliminary safety review and laser inventory update can be made.
- Ensuring that Laser Standard Operating Procedures (LSOPs), appendix A, are written for Class 3b and all Class 4 lasers and that all laser operators complete laser safety training before they are authorized to operate any laser.
- Establishing and maintaining a current list of personnel approved to operate specific types of Class 3b or 4 lasers under their supervision and providing a copy of the list to the LSO.
- Immediately notifying UNC-EHS in the event of a suspected overexposure to the output beam from a Class 3b or 4 laser.
All personnel operating lasers must follow general laser safety training from EHS and any manufacturer’s laser-specific safety guidelines for the laser they are operating.
Laser Safety Officer
The Laser Safety Officer (LSO) is responsible for to the following:
- Maintain records of all Class 3b and 4 lasers and laser operators.
- Provide assistance in evaluating and controlling hazards:
- Provide appropriate warning signs for posting
- Provide assistance to ALU on establishing appropriate controlled areas
- Calculate MPE and NHZ as necessary and appropriate
- Provide guidance on proper protective eye wear
- Provide laser safety training for new users.
- Participate in accident investigations involving lasers.
- Periodically audit the departmental Laser Safety Program.