This section has been reviewed and updated as needed: April 2014
- Use engineering controls (i.e. enclose the entire beam path) whenever possible to eliminate the need for laser protective eyewear.
- Wear approved laser protective eyewear as appropriate when working in the controlled area of a class 3b or 4 laser or laser system in an open beam configuration.
- Consult with the LSO on selection of appropriate laser protective eyewear for each laser.
- Keep laser protective eyewear in good condition, and replace any damaged or defective eyewear.
- Label laser protective eyewear with the laser type and/or wavelength of light against which the eyewear is designed to protect.