Chapter 17: UNC-CH Cogeneration Facility Nuclear Coal Fuel Control Gauges
Radiation Safety Procedures
- Radiation sources and source housing assemblies will be installed and serviced only by Stock Equipment Company or other service company representatives who are specifically licensed to provide such services.
- During the initial installation, a comprehensive radiation safety survey and source leak test will be performed. Each source will be clearly labeled, CAUTION – RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL, and with a specific description of the radionuclide, activity and date of the activity assay. A controlled area will be established where occupied spaces may exceed 2 millirem in any one hour.
- Key control of each source housing shutter lock will be exclusively through the individual(s) designated by the UNC-CH Radiation Safety Committee and the UNC-CH Radiation Safety Officer or designee.
- Any proposed adjustment, relocation or exchange of a source or source housing assembly shall be carried out only under a specific Radiation Work Permit issued by the UNC-CH Radiation Safety Officer or designee.
- Any entry by an individual into a space intended for the primary radiation source field shall only be under a specific Radiation Work Permit issued by the UNC-CH Radiation Safety Officer or designee. The Radiation Work Permit shall specifically describe how the source shutter is to be locked in the “OFF” position, the pre-entry radiation surveys to be conducted, personnel monitoring to be provided and supervisory conditions for the entry. A UNC-CH Radiation Safety staff member shall be present through each entry.
- Each source will be surveyed and leak tested every six months by the UNC-CH radiation safety staff. Leak tests will be conducted and evaluated in accordance with the source manufacturer’s instructions and UNC-CH Radiation Safety Policies and Procedures.