EHS Performance Highlights
- Trained 9,002 healthcare workers, facilities services employees, researchers, and childcare providers in bloodborne pathogens annual requirement either online or in person.
- Certified 461 campus biological safety cabinets ensuring safety of product, personnel, and environmental protection.
- Reviewed and approved 435 Laboratory Safety Plans’ Schedule F (Biological Hazards).
Chemical and Laboratory Safety
- Trained 1,962 new laboratory employees on Laboratory Environment through online self-study.
- Reviewed 637 new and/or updated Laboratory Safety Plans and reviewed deficiencies with PI’s and Safety Supervisors, ensuring compliance with the University’s Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Inspected 1,207 chemical fume hoods and submitted 80 Facilities repair requests for fume hoods.
- Trained 707 UNC employees from Facilities Services and Energy Services, plus Aramark staff, football stadium volunteers and football stadium concession volunteers in stormwater awareness.
- Conducted 8,852 waste pickups of 50,883 kg of hazardous waste and 48,036 kg of non-hazardous solid waste from University generators.
- Shipped 34,717 kg of solid and hazardous waste directly to offsite vendor TSDFs.
Fire Safety & Emergency Response
- Trained 1,572 students and staff on fire safety and fire extinguisher use.
- Performed 300 fire drills for UNC buildings.
- Inspected 7,005 fire extinguishers on campus with 1,259 exchanged due to replacement or maintenance.
Occupational and Environmental Hygiene
- Trained 638 Maintenance, Housekeeping, and Design and Construction Services employees in asbestos awareness through online and in-class training.
- Coordinated 169 mobile hearing tests for employees enrolled in Hearing Conservation Program, saving $5K for tested departments.
- Conducted 37 Hazard Management Plan inspections for Facilities Services, Energy Services and departmental shops. Many inspections included development of JSAs.
- Administered radiation safety training courses to 2,525 persons; non-ionizing radiation safety training to 554 persons.
- Inspected and tested 300 X-ray tubes.
- Received, processed, and delivered 516 containers of radioactive materials for PI’s research.
University Employee Occupational Health Clinic
- Provided occupational health medical services for 4,893 employees.
- Fit-tested and provided consultative services for 581 employees for the University’s Respiratory Protection program.
- Reviewed 1273 IACUC Animal Handler Symptom reviews.
- Trained Number of Employees:
- Respiratory Protection: 1,834
- EHS Office, Clinic, IMAC, SS, Student Affairs: 6,781
- Joint Commission: 4,599
- Clinical Tuberculosis Infection Control: 6,631
- Clinical Bloodborne Pathogens: 6,262
- Ergonomic Self-Evaluations: 70
- Conducted on-site inspections of 224 Hazards Management Plan (HMP) for numerous campus units and entered HMPs for work unit in the on-line HMP system.
- Investigated 26 incidents: electrical; falls; equipment; PPE; materials handling; strains; and stuck in/between objects.