EHS Performance Highlights
- Trained 1,080 researchers in basic principles of conducting research at BSL-2, such as proper technique and waste handling and trained 168 researchers in enhanced BSL-2 procedures.
- Certified 481 campus biological safety cabinets ensuring safety of product, personnel and environmental protection.
- Reviewed and approved 543 Laboratory Safety Plans’ Schedule F (Biological Hazards).
- Reviewed and approved 315 Laboratory Safety Plans’ Schedule G (Recombinant or Synthetic DNA).
Chemical and Laboratory Safety
- Trained 1,919 new laboratory employees on Laboratory Environment through online self-study.
- Reviewed 775 new and/or updated laboratory safety plans and reviewed deficiencies with principal investigators and safety supervisors, ensuring compliance with the University’s Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Inspected 1,250 chemical fume hoods and submitted 50 Facilities Services repair requests for fume hoods.
- Uploaded 417 chemical inventories into online system and reviewed 380 annual inventory updates as part of Chemical Hygiene Plan compliance.
- Trained 6,430 employees on Sub-part K Hazardous Waste Management new rules through online training.
- Provided 611 collaborative laboratory inspections.
- Trained 1,919 employees on Managing Laboratory Generated Hazardous Waste through orientation safety online training.
- Conducted 11,355 waste pickups of 61,241 kg of hazardous waste and 101,236 kg of non-hazardous solid waste from University generators.
- Shipped 103,310 kg of waste from the UNC-CH TSDF to an offsite vendor TSDF for treatment and disposal.
- Aided with controlled substances drug disposal on campus which included 20 visits by DHHS Drug Control Unit for 28 lab visits/inspections.
Fire Safety & Emergency Response
- Provided fire safety coverage to seven home football games, 15 home men’s basketball games.
- Inspected 6,732 campus fire extinguishers.
- Investigated and documented 267 false fire alarms during calendar year 2018.
- Installed 14 emergency key boxes (“Knox Boxes”) on the UNC campus and worked with Facilities Services to include at least six additional Knox Boxes on capital construction projects during 2019
- Performed over 289 fire drills for UNC buildings
Occupational and Environmental Hygiene
- Trained 564 Maintenance, Housekeeping, and Design and Construction Services employees in asbestos awareness through online and in-class training.
- Coordinated mobile hearing tests for 235 employees enrolled in the Hearing Conservation Program, saving $5.7K for the tested departments.
- Trained 386 employees enrolled in the Hearing Conservation Program on Occupational Noise Safety through in-class and online training
- Trained 271 employees from Facilities Services, Energy Services and UNC-CH Police on confined space via in-class and online training.
- Administered radiation safety training courses to 2,106 persons and non-ionizing radiation safety training to 606 persons.
- 439 radiation safety laboratory inspections were conducted.
- Inspected and tested 278 X-ray tubes
- Services were provided to the hospital and patients for 219 radiation-related procedures
- Hosted six Nuclear Medicine Technology students for two-week rotations through radiation safety as part of the NMT didactic program.
University Employee Occupational Health Clinic
- Provided occupational health medical services for 3,900 employees.
- Fit-tested and provided consultative services for 528 individuals under the University’s Respiratory Protection program.
- Trained/Number of Employees:
- Respiratory Protection: 1,091
- EHS Office, Clinic, IMAC, SS, Student Affairs: 4,168
- Joint Commission: 4,233
- Clinical Tuberculosis Infection Control: 6,444
- Clinical Bloodborne Pathogens: 6,540
- Ergonomic Self-Evaluations: 48.
- Processed and managed 51 workers’ compensation claims with medical treatment, return to work, hearings/mediations and monthly expenditures.
- Conducted on-site inspections of 229 Hazards Management Plan (HMP) for numerous campus units and entered HMPs for work unit in the online HMP system.
- Investigated 80 incidents on campus for falls, equipment, PPE, materials handling, strains and stuck in/between objects.
- Renewed automobile liability and other optional physical damage coverage for 1,343 vehicles which includes self-propelled mobile equipment.
- Renewed Property Insurance coverage which includes $5,569,082,493 in building value and $1,212,885,894 content values. Total Insured Value: $6,781,968,387.
- Settled or managed various property claims:
- Property Damage caused by third party: 2
- Damage caused by Vehicle: 18
- Vandalism: 7
- Fire: 7
- Water Damage: 4
- Theft: 6
- Student Blanket Professional Liability: 2
- Employee Dishonesty: 1
- Wind: 4
- Sprinkler: 1
- Inland Marine Property Damage: 3
- Cyber: 1
- Power Surge: 1
- Transformer: 1
- Renewed Professional Liability for 14 Schools and individuals