Biohazard Waste Management
As of June 1, 2008, all UNC laboratories are required to collect biohazard waste in the red-colored outer containers.
This requirement is in addition to the current policy requirement that biohazard waste containers:
- Must be durable
- Have a lid
- Are clearly labeled
This policy also puts a maximum limit on the size of a biohazard waste container at 15-gallons (57-L).
To review contaminated sharps collection requirements on campus, visit the Biohazard Waste Collection Methods section of the Biological Waste Disposal Policy.
You may review the biohazard waste containers available through Fishersci. However, EHS has located economical alternatives to help ease the cost associated with replacing waste containers to meet the new standard.
UNC Biohazard Waste Management General Links
- Biohazard Waste Disposal Chart for UNC-CH research laboratories
- UNC’s Biohazard Waste Policy
- Chemical Treatment of Liquid Microbiological Waste
- Red Biowaste Containers
- EHS review of Fishersci biohazard waste containers
- Autoclave Usage and Safety Training
- Autoclave Use
- EHS recommended biological indicators from Fisher Scientific
- NC Medical Waste Management Rules
- For Disposal of Biohazard Waste Mixed with Chemicals or Radioactive Materials, contact EHS