Laboratory and Chemical Safety Committee
This committee focuses on the promoting a safe laboratory environment by focusing on the receipt, usage, storage, and disposal of chemicals in a laboratory. This committee works on emerging issues of health and safety in the laboratory environment and how to apply them to the campus. This committee oversees the implementation of the University’s Chemical Hygiene Plan as described in the UNC Laboratory Safety Manual.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review safety and health policies and procedures established by the agency pertaining to laboratory and chemical safety.
- Review incidents involving work-related fatalities, injuries, illnesses or near misses related to laboratory and chemical safety.
- Review employee complaints regarding safety and health hazards related to laboratory and chemical safety.
- Analyze the agency’s work injury and illness statistical records related to laboratory and chemical safety.
- Conduct inspections of laboratories and worksites utilizing chemicals at least annually and in response to complaints regarding safety or health hazards.
- Conduct interviews with employees in conjunction with inspections of the workplace.
- Review agency’s training records related to laboratory and chemical safety to ensure compliance with regulatory training requirements.
- Conduct meetings at least once every three months. Maintain written minutes of such meeting and send copy to each committee member. Copy of minutes shall be posted in the appropriate workplace.
- Designate Employee Safety and Health Representative(s) to accompany representatives from regulatory agencies (i.e. NCOSHA, NC Department of Insurance, NC Division of Environmental Management) during safety and health inspections of the workplace.
- Make written recommendations on behalf of the committee to the agency head.
- Laboratory EHS issues not specifically pertaining to biosafety or radiation safety, and broad laboratory EHS issues.
- OSHA laboratory standard compliance.
- Shipment and receipt of laboratory chemicals.
- Flammable liquids and other fire hazards in laboratories.
- Safe laboratory design, ventilation and engineering.
- Security of laboratory chemicals.
- Carcinogens, reproductive toxins and pesticides.
- Review laboratory EHS survey program (CLIP) findings not specifically pertaining to biosafety or radiation safety.
|Dr. Lorraine Alexander||Clinical Associate Professor, Epidemiology; Chair, Laboratory and Chemical Safety Committee|
|Pat Boone, MSPH, CIH||Assistant Director, UNC Healthcare Environmental, Health and Safety|
|Cathy Brennan||Executive Director, Environment, Health and Safety|
|Lisa Cremeans||Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Allied Health Sciences|
|Dr. Nita Eskew||Director of Undergraduate Labs, Department of Chemistry|
|Dr. Anthony Hackney||Professor, Physiology and Nutrition, Exercise and Sport Science|
|Dr. Kathryn Harper||Research Assistant Professor, Psychiatry|
|Dr. Sara Johnson||Chemical Hygiene Officer, Environment, Health and Safety|
|Michael Liang||Graduate Student, Chemistry|
|Dr. Rihe Liu||Associate Professor, Medicinal Chemistry & Natural Products, Pharmacy|
|Todd O’Buckley||Research Specialist, Alcohol Studies Center|
|Dr. Kathryn Reissner||Assistant Professor of Psychology|
|Dr. Sarah Scarry||Research Assistant Professor, Center for Integrative Chemical Biology and Drug Discovery, School of Pharmacy|
|Dr. Nick Tsihlis||Research Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine|
|Wednesday, January 16, 2019||238 MacNider Hall||3:00 – 4:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, March 20, 2019||238 MacNider Hall||3:00 – 4:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, May 15, 2019||238 MacNider Hall||3:00 – 4:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, July 17, 2019||238 MacNider Hall||3:00 – 4:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, September 18, 2019||238 MacNider Hall||3:00 – 4:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday, November 20, 2019||238 MacNider Hall||3:00 – 4:00 p.m.|