There are a variety of incidents that may occur on campus that EHS has the resources to respond to and take care of. If any of the following incidents occur, please contact EHS at 919-962-5507.
- Chemical Spill
- Blood/Biohazard Spill
- Illegal Dumping: This includes anyone (including University employees/contractors) putting anything into a storm drain.
- Unknown Odor
- Natural Gas Odor
- Safety Hazard: This includes any hazards indoors or outdoors that you perceive to pose a safety risk.
If you see a suspicious person, please call Public Safety at 919-962-8100. If you see a fire, activate the fire alarm and call 911. To reach the Adverse Weather Hotline, call 919-843-1234. If you have concerns that do not necessarily constitute an emergency, please consult our “Who do I call?” list.
Use these resources for more information about emergencies.
- Elements of Good Preparation
- Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Hurricane Advisory for Research Laboratories (2003)
- Alert Carolina Emergency Procedures Poster (pictured at right)
- UNC-Chapel Hill’s adverse weather and emergency hotline: 919-843-1234
- Safety, Health and Environmental Resources: National Safety Council
- State of North Carolina Severe Weather Week News Release (2002)
- Guide to Business Continuity and Recovery Planning on Campus
- EHS Fire Safety and Emergencies
- Joint EHS/Facilities Services SOP Policy for Moisture Intrusion Events
For information about the emergency response plan, please see the Guide for Chemical Spill Response Planning in Laboratories prepared by the American Chemical Society’s Task Force on Laboratory Waste Management.
You may also contact Environment, Health and Safety by email or at 919-962-5507.