Caustic Degreaser Solutions
Some repair shops use caustic tanks for cleaning greasy parts. When the solution is changed, the spent solution and sludge typically are hazardous wastes due to their corrosivity and heavy metal content. The spent solvents and sludge must be handled, stored, and disposed of as hazardous waste.
- Accumulate all sludges and spent solvents from caustic (alkaline) degreaser containers in a closed, labeled container.
- Consider alternative cleaning methods such as detergent based (aqueous) parts washers.
- Contact EHS for disposal.
- Do Not dispose of spent caustic cleaner down any drain or on the ground.
- Do Not dispose of caustic cleaner in a dumpster.