Transporting Research Materials
EHS at UNC-Chapel Hill conforms to strict government regulations when transporting hazardous materials. If you are shipping or exporting equipment, infectious substances, diagnostic specimens, or other hazardous materials we can provide guidance and assistance concerning the permitting, licensing, packaging and shipping of these materials.
Export Control and International Shipments
It is the policy of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill that all personnel, including employees, visiting scholars and students comply with all United States export control laws and regulations, including the Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and the regulations administered by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- Export Control Compliance webpage
- International Shipping
- Hand Carrying Research Materials Guidance
- Export Control Basics Training Module
Biological and Hazardous Materials
The transportation of biological and hazardous materials is highly regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA). UNC personnel are required to adhere to the strict training and packaging requirements from these entities. Guidance and training is provided to help transport there research materials safety and lawfully.
- Classifying Biological Materials for Transport Manual
- Shipping Biological Materials Manual
- UNC-EHS HazMat Training Information
- UNC-EHS HazMat Transport Fact Sheet
Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Compliance for Chemical Shipments
Information regarding documentation for chemical shipments subject to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Toxic Substances Control Act.
Important Shipping Documentation and Labeling
- Generic Dangerous Goods Instructions
- Dangerous Goods in Excepted Quantities Instructions and Test Form
- Dry Ice Label
- Biological Substances Category B Label
FedEx Shipping Administration Platform
Packages sent to international locations to which FedEx can deliver and all domestic packages must be shipped through the University’s e-commerce platform with FedEx. UNC uses the Shipping Administration function offered by FedEx.com to organize FedEx shipping at the University. The Shipping administration also allows for an added level of oversight for better compliance with federal regulations. It will allow us to prevent uncertified shippers from shipping dangerous goods packages with FedEx.
- Office of Hazardous Materials Safety, Federal Aviation Administration
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, US Department of Transportation
- International Air Transport Association
- Biological Materials Shipping – ORS – National Institutes of Health
- Research and Special Programs Administration, US Department of Transportation