This section has been reviewed and updated as needed: May 2014

The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill continues to grow as a leader in international education and global health through programs such as UNC Global, the Institute for Global Health and Infectious Disease, and the Consortium of Universities for Global Health. As international educational, research, and service opportunities increase, the University has taken steps to provide resources to faculty, staff, and students in order to minimize known health risks that can occur in the course of international travel.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that faculty, staffs, and students traveling abroad on behalf of the University have obtained the appropriate travel medications/immunizations and up-to-date health risk information. The preferred method for obtaining and documenting the necessary services is:

Faculty and Staff (Graduate Students if on University payroll) University Employee Occupational Health Clinic (UEOHC) 919-966-9119
Undergraduate Students UNC Campus Health International Travel Clinic 919-966-2281

All Faculty and Staff are required to get their travel immunizations through the University Employee Occupational Health Clinic.

Both clinics are U.S. Yellow Fever Vaccination Centers and follow current Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations. Individuals are encouraged to schedule an appointment as soon as they become aware of their travel plans as some vaccination schedules take 6 months to complete.

Students on the University payroll traveling internationally for University business are considered employees of the University and fall under the same requirements are University employees.
If an employee’s job responsibilities require international travel, then the employee is to contact the University Employee Occupational Health Clinic at least three months prior to departure date in order to allow time for completion of vaccine series and time for vaccinations to become effective. He/She is to complete the “Request for Travel Immunizations” which includes the exact order of departures and arrivals and length of time at each location. If there are any requirements specified by the funding agency, the UOEHC needs to be made aware of these requirements as soon as possible. Please note additional requirements for faculty, staff, and students providing international patient care (see below).
Supervisors and/or Departments are responsible for ensuring that employees traveling internationally seek travel immunization assistances from the University Employee Occupational Health Clinic. The Department is to complete the “Request for Travel Services” form confirming that travel is work-related and the department’s billing information.
University faculty and staff traveling on University funds who will be working in patient care settings while abroad are required to have documentation of compliance with the University’s Immunization Review program requirements before University managed funds can be used to pay for travel. This includes, but is not limited to, current training on Bloodborne Pathogens, documentation of Hepatitis B status, and documentation of a recent Tuberculin Skin Test (TST). Please contact the UEOHC if there are any institutional or site-specific requirements that are needed to obtain clinical privileges at the host institution. Health care providers are also strongly encouraged to review the availability of adequate post-exposure prophylaxis at their international clinical site (more information).
The University of North Carolina General Administration has contracted with HTH Worldwide to provide international travel insurance. This policy provides coverage for emergency medical expenses, medical evacuation, security and political evacuation, accidental death and dismemberment, and repatriation of remains. If you are traveling with a spouse or children, you have the option to purchase coverage for dependents at your own expense. Please note that forms need to be submitted at least two weeks in advance and with appropriate payment.
The Department is responsible for paying for travel immunization services provided to the employee by the UEOHC. The fee includes an initial medical provider visit, then a reduced follow-up visit plus cost of vaccines needed for the area the employee is traveling too. This fee will be billed directly to the Department by the Department of Environment, Health and Safety.
Back to Chapter 3-7: First Aid
Proceed to Chapter Four: Fire Safety