Mechanical Rooms Usage and Access
This section has been reviewed and updated as needed: June 2014
- Small quantity of replacement Air filters that are properly stored to ensure their cleanliness.
- Small quantity of replacement bulbs that is properly stored in a closed secure box.
- One box to place used bulbs which must have the following:
- Be marked “Universal Waste-Lamps” or “Waste Lamps” or “Used Lamps” on the side of the box
- Date of when the first waste lamp was placed in the box
- This box must be kept Closed unless a bulb is actively being added to the box.
- At one year regardless if box is full, then the bulb boxes should be brought to the EHS Storage Facility across from Surplus Property for proper disposal (For more information go to EHS Website under Environmental Affairs FAQs.
- Ladder used to access service work.
- Drawing of building if appropriate stored in drawing cabinet.
At no time can gasoline or paint be stored in mechanical rooms.
The only time additional items can be stored in mechanical rooms, is if it has a fire rated barrier wall in accordance with North Carolina State Building/Fire Code.
All doors entering mechanical rooms are to be locked at all times. If a situation arises that the doors need to be left open, a designated employee shall be required to stand watch until the doors can be secured.
Environment, Health and Safety
Environment, Health and Safety is responsible for inspecting mechanical rooms at least once a year regarding appropriate storage and general housekeeping of the room. Any violations will be reported to Facility Service and/or Energy Services for immediate correction.
Additionally, mechanical rooms are subject to inspection by the North Carolina State Department of Insurance (DOI), at their annual inspection.
Maintenance Personnel are responsible for maintaining a “clean” mechanical room at all times. When service work is performed, any guards that are removed or junction boxes opened are to be replaced and closed at the end of the service work for that day. At no time, can junction box/guards be left open/off. Any deficiencies noted during the EHS inspection are to be corrected immediately. Smoking and food is prohibited in these rooms.
Departments are prohibited from usage of mechanical rooms for purposes other than its designed use.