Skip to main content

OWASA said Tuesday that it is adjusting the water treatment process to minimize taste and odor in drinking water. An earthy taste and odor result from the growth of algae in OWASA’s lakes.

Although OWASA’s treatment process removes algae, some organic compounds may be left behind. These compounds are harmless, but may cause taste and odor.

OWASA adds powdered activated carbon during the treatment process to remove such taste and odor. On May 15, OWASA made a treatment change to increase the amount of powdered activated carbon used in treatment and has seen an improvement.

Therefore, OWASA expects that the issue will be resolved within the next several days as the water stored in drinking water tanks and pipes is used and replaced with water that does not have a taste and odor issue.

OWASA continues to closely monitor the situation and welcomes comments and questions from customers.

For more information:

Comments are closed.