Role of Department of Environment, Health and Safety
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) is committed to providing a safe and healthful environment for all persons associated with the University, including faculty, staff, students, visitors, and members of the Chapel Hill community.
The University emphasizes an integrated systems approach, as well as safety education and training as the primary means of achieving this goal. The Environment, Health and Safety department is primarily responsible for environment, health and safety functions at the University, by developing EHS programs and performing various periodic inspections. Department heads, faculty members, and supervisors are considered directly responsible for maintaining full compliance with State and Federal regulations and University safety policies and procedures.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) Department of Environment, Health & Safety supports the University’s core mission of teaching, research, and service by providing comprehensive environmental, health, and safety services to the University community. This includes education through training and consultation, maintaining a safe environment through recognizing and controlling health and safety hazards, ensuring a process of regulatory compliance, and minimizing future potential liabilities.
Mission of the Organization
- Provide a safe work place.
- Ensure a process of compliance.
- Minimize future potential liabilities.
Values of the EHS Organization
The organization will:
- Use time efficiently.
- Be a resource for new ideas.
- Connect to us relationally.
- Stay with us on the journey through all twists and turns.
- Establish state of the art safety and environmental protocols and procedures.
- Enable us to be all we can be.
- Be All You Can Be.
- Strive Towards Excellence.
Core Diversity Values of the University
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, as an educational institution, is committed to the following core values with respect to diversity:
The University supports intellectual freedom, promotes personal integrity and justice, and pursues values that foster enlightened leadership devoted to improving the conditions of human life in the state, the nation, and the world.
The University believes that it can achieve its educational, research, and service mission only by creating and sustaining an environment in which students, faculty, and staff represent diversity, for example, of social backgrounds, economic circumstances, personal characteristics, philosophical outlooks, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, expectations, and aspirations, to mention some salient factors.
The University will achieve and maintain diversity on the campus through the admission of students and employment of faculty and staff who broadly reflect the ways in which we differ.
The University promotes intellectual growth and derives the educational benefits of diversity by creating opportunities for intense dialogue and rigorous analysis and by fostering mutually beneficial interactions among members of the community.
The University provides an environment that values and respects civility and cordiality of discourse in order that all members of a diverse community feel welcomed and feel free to express their ideas without fear of reprisal.
Please visit UNC’s Diversity and Multicultural Affairs website to learn more.
Directions to 1120 Estes Drive Extension
- Take I-40 Exit 266
- Head southward into Chapel Hill onto MLK Blvd.
- Proceed 2.5 miles through nine stop lights.
- At 2.5 miles, the ninth stoplight is at Estes Drive.
- Proceed straight through the Estes Dr. stoplight (do not turn).
- Take the next right turn onto Airport Drive.
- Proceed to the next stop sign, 0.3 miles.
- At the stop sign you’ll be back at Estes Drive.
- Turn right at the stop sign onto Estes Drive.
- Take an immediate right turn into the first driveway.
- This driveway is the EHS parking lot.