Skip to main content

OWASA has completed its annual switch to use of chlorine instead of chloramines to disinfect drinking water. However, customers may continue to notice chlorine taste and odor in early to mid-April because some water treated with chlorine remains in the water pipe system.

On April 1, OWASA resumed disinfecting our water with chloramines, a compound of chlorine and ammonia which minimizes chlorine taste and odor.

Water disinfected with either chlorine or chloramines is safe to drink and for normal use.

OWASA typically disinfects drinking water with chloramines, however, chlorine is a slightly stronger disinfectant. OWASA therefore uses chlorine for disinfection one month per year (March) to ensure a high level of disinfection in the water system in accord with recommendations from the NC Department of Environmental Quality.

For more information: Visit, click on What We Do and thenĀ Drinking Water and/or Water Treatment and Disinfection

Comments are closed.