Skip to main content

Download a printable version of this brochure.

“I have been injured, what should I do now?”

What Is Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ Compensation benefits are available to any employee who suffers disability through accident or occupational disease arising out of, and in the course of, his or her employment, according to the provisions of the North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Act.

University Employee Occupational Health Clinic (UEOHC)

University Employee Occupational Health Clinic (UEOHC) is an important player in Workers’ Compensation at UNC. The UEOHC Physician Assistant serves as the case manager for all workers’ compensation claims. The Physician Assistant is the authorized medical care provider and the one who is authorized to direct treatment of workers’ compensation employees. If you are injured on the job, you are required to be seen at the UEOHC. If you received treatment from somewhere other than the UEOHC, you MUST still make contact with the Physician Assistant at 919-966-9119. The UEOHC’s normal operating hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30-4:30 (except holidays).


If you sustain a needlestick injury on the job after hours, call HealthLink, 919-966-7890. HealthLink has nurses on duty 24 hours per day to provide phone assistance. The UNC Department of Medicine provides medical supervision of HealthLink. For all other after-hour work related injuries, go directly to the UNC Emergency Department.

Emergency Care

For a life-threatening injury or illness, go directly to the UNC Emergency Department located in the Neurosciences Hospital on Manning Drive or to the nearest Emergency Facility.


You are responsible for completing the Employees Incident Report Form. You are also responsible for completing the preliminary information on the Industrial Commission Form 19 at the UEOHC for treatment purposes only. These forms are found at These forms should be filled out within 24 hours of the incident and forwarded to the Department of Environment, Health and Safety (CB#1650) within 48 hours.

Leave Procedures

If you are required to miss time from work by notification of a doctor’s note, then certain leave procedures are in place.

  • If an employee misses seven days or less, the employee is required to use vacation, sick, or leave without pay.
  • If an employee misses more than seven days, but less than twenty-one days, then the days that exceed seven days will be charged to Workers’ Compensation Leave.
  • If an employee misses more than twenty-one days, then the first seven-day waiting period is waived and Workers’ Compensation Leave payments begin from the first day of disability, or the employee is reimbursed at the end of the twenty-one days.

Continuation of Benefits / Deduction Information

Retirement System

Your Human Resources Facilitator will code Workers’ Compensation so that there is a continuation of your total state service. Retirement System membership continues but service credit does not.

Other Deductions

If you have any voluntary deductions from payroll, you are responsible for coordinating these payments with the University benefits office. You may reach the benefits office at 962-3071 to set up the coordination of benefits, so that these payments will still be made. If you are placed on Workers’ Compensation Leave, the voluntary deductions that normally come out of your check will not be taken out of your workers’ compensation check from CorVel, the University’s Third Party Administrator.

Contact Information

Supervisor-Employee Contact

Your supervisor will be required to maintain contact with you while out on Workers’ Compensation Leave.

CorVel Contact

EHS and CorVel are in constant contact concerning your workers’ compensation case. You are always welcome to call the claims adjuster at CorVel to discuss the status of your claim. You may reach CorVel at 1-800-275-8130.

Return To Work

After you have been on Workers’ Compensation Leave, a physician’s statement authorizing return to work must be submitted to your supervisor prior to reinstatement to work status.

Full Duty

When you have a physician’s statement that says you can return to full duty, then you are removed from Leave Without Pay Workers’ Compensation and returned to your normal job duties and responsibilities. The effective date will be based on the primary treating physician’s recommendations.

Modified (light) Duty

You may be authorized by a physician to return to work, where your job duties have either been restricted or time limited. If either is the case, the department is to take you back to your position and make modifications to the job duties on a temporary basis. This may involve making certain accommodations for you to be able to continue in your normal job capacity.

Never Return to Work

If you are deemed by the primary treating physician to never return to work, then you are moved to a special position in Leave without pay, WC Status, and continue to earn vacation, sick and total state service. Your position at that time is then vacated, and the department is then able to recruit for that position.The University will attempt to find another position within the University for you or will refer you to OSP.

Payment of Medical and Leave Benefits

CorVel processes medical and leave benefits. Delays will occur if:

  • Medical treatment occurs outside of the UEOHC directed care
  • The medical provider is not informed that the injury is Workers’ Compensation
  • CorVel does not receive the charges on proper medical forms
  • CorVel does not receive medical notes for the medical services billed
  • Environment, Health and Safety is not notified of the injury.

Contact Information

Should you have any further questions, you may contact:

Debra Bergman