Safe Science – Culture of Safety
Safety is everyone’s responsibility. UNC-Chapel Hill is committed to providing a campus environment that supports the health and safety practices of its community (faculty, students, staff, and visitors) and empowers the community to be responsible for the safety of others. A safe campus environment is a right of employment for all categories of employees. A safe campus learning environment is a right of all those involved in education and research.
Good science is safe science. Safety is a critical component of scholarly excellence and responsible conduct of research.
Safety training and safety education are essential elements of research and education. They instill a culture of safety in the next generation of researchers and future faculty, and they are important for our students’ career development and employability.
An improved culture of safety is necessary to truly reduce risk throughout the academic enterprise.
- Actions for Deans and Vice Presidents for Research
- Actions for Environmental Health and Safety Staff
- Actions for Laboratory Researchers
- Actions for Principal Investigators and Department Chairs
- Actions for University Senior Leaders
- University of Hawaii Incident, Report 1
- University of Hawaii Incident, Report 2