Secure Laboratory Authorization
When instructed by the Department of Environment, Health and Safety (EHS), new laboratory personnel should follow this procedure for access to a secure laboratory:
- The Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator must contact the EHS Director or the Biological Safety Officer to request authorization of your access to the secure laboratory.
- EHS will add you to UNC-Chapel Hill’s select agent registration and notify you of your assigned Unique Identifying Number (UIN).
- As of May 8, 2016, a photograph will be required along with the FD-961 form. See page 3 of the FD-961 for photo specifications. Contact the Biological Safety Officer for any questions.
- Complete the form FD-961, writing your assigned identifier number into Section 2, Block 5. Please do not leave any blanks for questions 5-21, answer “none” or “not applicable” if they do not apply. See the FBI’s page on the Bioterrorism Security Risk Assessment Form for more instructions. Contact the Biological Safety Officer to request a signature on the form.
- Contact UNC Police at 919-962-8100 to ensure staffing is available for fingerprinting services during their scheduled times. Please make sure to inform them that this is for the Select Agent Program and ask the officer to complete two fingerprint cards for you. There is a $15 fee made payable by credit card (Visa or MasterCard). Bring the receipt back to your department for reimbursement.
If UNC Police is unable to accommodate you within a day or two, please contact the Biological Safety Section at 919-962-5507.
- Complete a Medical School Planning Office Card Access Authorization Form OR a One Card Access Authorization Form, depending on the card system used by the laboratory. This form must be signed by the Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator. The Biological Safety Officer will authorize card access after receiving FBI approval, provided that all other safety training and occupational health requirements have been met.
- To access the inventory system, the Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator must send a request to the Biological Safety Officer with:
- your full name
- your email address
- your Onyen (not your password)
Please call the Biological Safety Officer at 919-962-5507 if you have any questions.
Please note: This site is not monitored 24/7. If you are experiencing an event that is an immediate threat to select agents or personal safety, contact UNC Police by dialing 911 or the Responsible Official directly at 919-730-3983. Reporting can also be done using UNC Ethics Point.
- CDC/USDA List of Select Agents
- Select Agent Regulations: NC Biological Agents Registry